Disclosure: I am part of the PTPA Brand Ambassador Program with Kobo and I received Compensation as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own.
I have professed my love of reading many times before. However, I have never really set goals for myself nor have I widened my scope of genres. As many people are making resolutions for 2015, I want you to join me in a reading challenge for a Fresh Start in the new year.
I usually read in bed at night after the kids have gone to sleep. However, I want to set a yearly goal of a certain number of books like some of my friends. It's neat to see their update at the beginning of the year to see if they've reached their goal. Although I am ambitious, I want to be realistic with my number so even though 50 would be awesome, I'm going to set my goal at 35 and see how I do. I love that e-readers such as Kobo make it ideal to read on the go, anywhere, any day so I am really excited about my switch this year.
Now what to read for my reading challenge? I loved the movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding and am inspired by Nia Vardalos' Kobo Collection of books and her reasons for selecting such titles:
- Tiny Beautiful Things by Cheryl Strayed "Once I read her scathing and soothing words, I needed to be Cheryl's friend."
- The Handmaids Take by Margaret Atwood "Growing up reading Margaret Atwood taught me to love the power of satire."
- Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro "It's a compelling story of love and loss."
I will definitely be adding those to my 2015 Reading List which currently includes the following titles:
- Painted Girls by Cathy Marie Buchanan
- All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
- The Valley of Amazement by Amy Tan
- How the Light Gets In by Louise Penn
- Inside by Alix Olin
- Elephant in the Sky by Heather A. Clark
- Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin: I just started reading this and am sucked in. It's odd because fantasy/magic books are not usually my top pick. However, the detailed adventure has me wanting to read past my bedtime.
- Yes Please by Amy Poehler
If you are uncertain of making the leap to e-reader, you can check out the FREE Kobo App available for Apple, BlackBerry, Android and Windows. The Kobo bookstore boasts more than 4.2 million titles!
Start off a fresh new year by joining me in the 2015 Reading Challenge. What is your goal? What are the must read books that are on your list?